This Week In The Podverse, April 8, 2022
- The APVA Awards are coming soon. Watch this space.
- Afripods CEO, Molly Jensen launches a bi-weekly newsletter, “Africa X Podcasting: The Scoop.” It features occurrences in the African podcasting ecosystem focusing on innovation, discoverability, news, events, education & whatever else captures her mind. Do subscribe! It’s rich!
- To build a more informed approach to podcasting in Africa, Africa Podfest asks podcast listeners in Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa to take part in a survey.
- Lina Macharia is reaching out to less represented in front of the mic/ behind the mic individuals, journalists and storytellers that would greatly benefit from being members of The Podcast Academy offering them the opportunity to apply for a year of membership fully sponsored by Spotify.
- Anchor announces updates to its web app, empowering more creators to share their voices in their native tongues. Read More
- For this year’s #Reviews4Good, Podchaser is donating 25 cents to World Central Kitchen for every review left on the platform throughout the month of April 2022! The donation doubles to 50 cents every time a podcaster replies to the review. Read More
- Inside Radio reports that 6 podcast companies [Alitu, Buzzsprout, Captivate, Libsyn, PlayerdotFM, and Spreaker] are also joining the #Reviews4Good effort and agreeing to match Podchaser’s donations. Other companies like Apollo, Headliner, Podcast Guru and Squadcast are signing on as promotional partners.
- According to Livewire Labs, Anchor (24.8%), Buzzsprout (9.8%) and Spreaker (8.1%) are the Top 3 Podcast Hosting Companies by Episode Share for the month of March 2022. Read More
- Sony Music Entertainment appoints Serita Wesley to the newly created role of Head of U.S. Entertainment Podcasts. Read More
- Bloomberg reports that four Patreon hit shows have been poached by Substack. Substack has also launched an app in the Apple store with a built-in podcast player. Read More
- The same way they made it simple to start a paid newsletter, Substack says it’s making it just as easy to produce a paid, subscription-based podcast. Read More
- Buzzsprout’s new Dynamic Content tool lets you easily add and remove short pre-roll (intro) and post-roll (outro) content to your episodes. Read More
- Blubrry updates the onboarding process for PowerPress, its podcast plugin for WordPress. Read More
- Spotify Union members threaten to strike over contract issues. Read more
- Here’s why Edmund Oris started a podcast. You can check out the thread/quoted tweets by Podbean and contribute to it too.
- Ashley Carman writes in Bloomberg on “The Tumultuous, Awkward Quest to Become the Oscars of Podcasting”
- In response, Maribel Quezada Smith says “podcasting should stop trying to be like other mediums.”
- The Podcast Coach, Dave Jackson reflects on Podcast Movement Evolutions 2022. >>> Podcast
- “The BBC’s inflexibility to create easily manageable ways for podcast talent to profit from their shows makes it hard for them to stick around.” Writes Matt Deegan in his article, “Is Talent In Control?”
- James Cridland rails against Acast spamming Buzzsprout customers. Read Thread
- Here’s a Pro-Audio tip from Michael J Maione on balancing audio levels.
- Rachel Corbett says to create quality content, grow an audience and release episodes consistently over time (which is essential for podcasting success), it’s going to take you a heck of a lot longer than you think. Read More
- In his Quick Podcast Tip #112, Jeremy Enns says you should create a Listener Advisory Board for your show. Read The Thread
- Is PodMachine, “The simplest way to grow and edit your podcast”? Maybe. Your episode could be ready in just 48 hours and for $49, you could make 4 episodes per month. Try it for free, first.
- If you’re looking for a free, personalised plan to start your podcast then get The Podcast Planner Tool.
- I received two useful tools to help with writing better episode titles from Daniel J Lewis in the mailbox…👇🏾
The AI called Jasper for coming up with better title ideas and 👇🏾
Sharethrough, a FREE headline-analyzer to see how good your headline is.
- Looking For Podcast Communities to Join on Twitter?
NB: Please Abide By The Rules Of Each Community.
- Here’s a thread of Islamic podcasts to listen to during Ramadan
- If you ever wondered what a podcast listening schedule looked like, check this out.
- When you leave an episode review on The Tony Doe Podcast in Podchaser or UPGNRS Podcast, 25 cents go to World Central Kitchen. The donation doubles to 50 cents every time a podcaster replies to the review. #reviews4good
What Are Podcasters Tweeting About?
Are you a Nigerian Podcaster? Have you joined The Naija Pod Hub and submitted your podcast to the directory? Wetin you dey wait for na? Oya go here.